Postpartum depression

Postpartum depression is very common but very less discussed topic. The woman who went through it may be unaware of it. This is not a physical problem so it is hard to be recognized. I remember those days, I wished every day to meet someone like PK(Amir Khan of PK movie) who could hold my hand, read my mind and tell me how to overcome those overwhelming thoughts. But, it was a movie character, so never came for me.
                                                                                                               
I was a happy mother for everyone but deep inside I was going towards another world of darkness, pain and sufferings. Somehow, watching my daughter's toothless laugh used to bring me back from my negativity but it was temporary.
I didn't have any reason to be sad, so I was unable to justify why I was sad. I asked myself reasons for being sad but have no clue. A caring husband, cute child, supportive parents... what else do I need?

Every time my mother asked about my well-being I used to talk just about physical problems. It is easy to hide your emotions on phone. All my acquaintances were congratulating me for a new flat and a healthy baby but I was not able to enjoy those wishes.

It didn't happen in a day or two it was like a slow poison making me disable gradually without even noticing. Sometimes I would quarrel, sometimes I would be silent as death. One day I would break cups other days I would sit in a corner weeping continuously.

Reasons are many; lack of sound sleep, increased body weight, stretch marks, increased work load, changes in lifestyle and not to forget physical problems due to operation. As we know every thing comes for a price same applies to baby also. For having a baby a woman has to go through many changes which are visible easily. With increased weight, stretch marks, hair-fall most of us start to refrain us from public meetings and gatherings.

Cheer up ladies!! Problems are meant to be solved. Hurdles are meant to be crossed. We should face the challenges instead of running from it. We just have to be firm on our part that we will not kneel down to the situation.
Just remember these things


  1. Learn to say NO: You are not super human or character of daily soaps aired on TV. You can't fulfill everyone's wishes. With a baby, comes lots of responsibility, so it's OK to say no to others.If you can't do all the works what you were doing before don't feel guilty about it. Just relax you are doing the toughest job of raising a baby.
  2. Speak it up: As I told already, nobody has powers like PK. So, you can't expect that people can understand your problem. Mothers are partially blessed with this power. A little bit you can expect from your prince charming if he really is! Just don't hide your emotions. Frame your emotions into words and tell whom you trust the most. Without expressing you can't get the attention of the family because it is quite obvious that everyone's attention will be on the apple of your eyes.
  3. Seek medication if required: You have to be proactive because as long as baby is doing good nobody will think of the doctor. Remember, you will be treated as a mature adult. So, you have to take better care of yourself. This is mandatory for a happy you and a happy family.
  4. Take a break and pamper yourself: There are several relaxation techniques like yoga, meditation, acupuncture, acupressure and much more. We can choose according to our taste. Sometimes, a little outing can do wonders. Meet old friends or do whatever makes you happy.
  5. Remember nothing is permanent: The most important thing is you should know that nothing is permanent. All the hardships will come to an end. It is just a matter of time. Everything will be back to normal in following years.


Hope you like this post!

Feel free to comment your reviews, queries or suggestion.
I would love to hear from you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Birthday Gift For My Love

Secret Of Happiness In Adverse Times